"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/18/10

Workin' at the Fair Part 2

No pictures this time. I haven't had time to take any.

Yesterday was the second, and last, day for entering items in the Needlecraft building. Before going in, a bunch of us Superintendents and Entry Clerks met for lunch at Mulligans at the Coeur d'Alene Inn. I enjoyed myself and had an excellent Chicken Cashew salad. It's fun to get together with folks for lunch.
 
At the fair it was an incredibly hot day, and the building is one of those metal ones with no air conditioning. It was like working in an oven. I'm so glad I decided to wear shorts. The heat didn't bother me until around 6pm or so. Then I started feeling like my brain was being cooked. I drank plenty of fluids though. It was probably just getting tired from a long busy day in the heat.

We have a total of 154 knitting entries this year. It's down by just over 25% from last year, which isn't as bad as I was expecting. Actually, all the departments in our building are down about that much.

I have really enjoyed seeing all the entries. Some of them are amazing works of art. One lady entered a knit 40 inch round table cloth that took my breath away it's so gorgeous. The lace pattern features flowers that look a lot like Lily of the Valley. It's knit in really fine cottonthread. I figure at least size 50 crochet thread, or possibly tatting thread. Another lady entered a lace scarf that I can only describe as diaphanous. It's all lacy and white and fluffy and scrumptious. A gentleman entered a pullover knit all in cables and natural white wool with such perfect stitches I actually sighed.

There are some quilts, crocheted afghans, sewing projects, and cross stitch pictures that all of us had to oh and ah over they're so magnificent. I wish I could have taken pics to show them, but that wasn't possible.

There are quite a few entries from children too. One young lady, age 14, entered a whole bunch of knitted items including scarves, hats, purses, and whatnot. I had to write her name down so often I will probably remember it for ever. She returned the next day with 2 more entries. I say, "you go girl!". It's good to see young people getting hooked on knitting. We need them so the craft will live on after we're gone.

After we finished taking in entries we organized them by class number on tables so when the judging is being done it will be easy to find what we're looking for. It's all set up and ready to go.

My 'assistant superintendent' never showed up. I finally called her and found out she isn't coming at all (she's been ill). So we found a replacement. One of my entry clerks, Sandy, volunteered to do the job. She was doing it anyway, so I am glad she's actually going to get paid for the work she's doing.

I took daughter Ruth with me. I told everyone she was our designated slave and to please use her. We kept her very busy all day, and she was a great help. Having her there was much appreciated. It was also great fun working together with her.

Today I got the day off. I went to Yarnies where I laughed my head off as usual (such a funny bunch of ladies). I don't remember how we ended up talking about it, but I learned that Karen wants to have a real celebration for her funeral when she croaks (which is a long way off). She says she wants snacks, drinks, dancing, and everyone will have to wear a t-shirt that says "Lets put the FUN back in Funeral". It fits with her fun outgoing personality.

I also finished knitting and bound off the shrug I've been working on. I need to block it before I sew the sleeve seams. Won't have time for that until next Monday or Tuesday-maybe.

Tomorrow is Judging day at the fair. I have to be there about 9:00 am and we work until it's all done. Could be just a few hours, or it could be midnight before I get home. I guess I'll find out when it happens. I'm not doing any judging, but I have to assist them by taking the entries to the judges, entering ribbons in 'the black book' and whatnot. I'm looking forward to seeing how this process works. It should be interesting.

My niece Lynne and her son Austin are flying in from Cuba, Kansas tomorrow too. Lynne went to high school here in Rathdrum  and is coming to attend her 30th class reunion. She and Austin will be staying with us for a few days. Sweet Hubby is going to pick them up from the airport since I'll be busy with fair duties. I'm kind of excited about her coming.

I hope you don't mind my ramblings about my fair job. I decided I wanted to write about it here in my Journal so I can read about it later. I do like to go back and read old entries every once in awhile. It's entertaining.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying reading about your Fair job because it is a glimpse into the 'other side' of submitting knitted items to a fair. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete