"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/2/09

Drapes

I have ordered new drapes for the house from Sunland Home Decor. I am very excited about it too. I haven't had real drapes in my house since we moved back to Idaho in 1992. Here is what I ordered for the living room and dining room windows. Those are pine cones on the valance.



They are made of chenille and faux suede in a deep chocolate brown. They will go very nice with the furniture and rug.

For the sun room I ordered this for the sliding glass door, also made of chenille and faux suede.

Yes, those are moose on there. Also some bears, mountains, trees and stuff. I've decided to just go with a moose theme for the 'open' area of the house. My living room, dining room, kitchen, and the sun room are actually one large open room. The kitchen is in the middle, with the others on either end. It's what attracted me to this house. I love the wide open floor plan.

I've also ordered matching valances.

I've decided to just do valances on the rest of the windows of the sun room. They all have nice blinds on them, and with what we use the room for, I think drapes would get in the way.

Speaking of the sun room, I've had this hanging on the wall for quite some time, but I made some changes to it this morning.

Where there are dark red peony's there used to be bright orange chrysanthemums. I think the deep red will go better with the new drapes.

I made this swag years ago. It was a decoration done for a room at a convention held by the cult I grew up in. The room was at the fair grounds, and rather ugly, but it had some gunny sack covered cork boards on the walls all around it (it was used for displays during the North Idaho Fair). I was given the generous budget of 100 bucks to do this project. So I acquired a team of ladies to help me and we made swags and wreaths, one for each of the boards. Since it was autumn at the time, I went with an autumn colored theme. We used mostly dried grasses, plants, branches, and whatnot picked from the area, with silk flowers to add a bit of color. It was a challenging project and it turned out very well. One of my proudest moments.

I made this particular one. The branch was laying in the back yard having freshly fallen from the tree with all those little pine cones on it. The grasses, of which there are 7 different types, were all in my back yard. The ribbon is raffia. It's about 4 feet wide and I still absolutely love it after all these years. It hangs over the piano.

A request has been made for knitted bootees from Knitwits. The local Birthrights organization needs 30 pairs of bootees by December. That's just one organization. Others have requested them too. So I'm going into bootee knitting mode for awhile. Here is the first one I've made so far (it still needs it's I-cord tie).

I'm using up leftover sock yarns, and patterns from both the internet and a book by Zoe Mellor called 50 Baby Bootees to Knit. Might as well have lots of fun while doing it.

I don't remember if I mentioned I'd ordered a new cat tree or not. I didn't want the old one in the house any more because it's covered in the old carpet. So I gave the tree to Grandkitty Lindy and ordered this one, which arrived yesterday. After assembling it, the cats-Silver and Chenille-checked it out.

Chenille is seeing how it does for scratching.


So, is it comfy inside?


Tommy has to make sure it smells okay.


We approve Mom.

I'm glad they're happy.

Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love your kitty scratch post! I've been looking everywhere for one for my two cats. Can you possibly let me know where you ordered it from? Your kitties look very happy, I'm wondering if mine will be too chicken to get close to it but I'm hoping they'd love it like yours do!
    Dawn

    dsknits2(at)comcast(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh... love the kitty tree! Need to get one of those for my two... then they can stare down upon the three dogs and gloat! : )

    ReplyDelete