"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/17/09

Cats (and mice)

I have decided to set aside the Honeybee Stole pattern for awhile and chose another pattern for a shawl to wear to my daughters wedding. I want something elegant, that looks hard, but isn't. I want to be able to take my time and knit Honeybee without stress. I don't think I can do that with the wedding coming so fast.

I've found a pattern called Fir Cone Triangle Shawl that fits the bill. We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday so I spent some time starting the shawl. So far, so good.


There is a mistake in the pattern though. (Arrgh! Does no one proofread and test knit their patterns anymore?) So, if you should decide to make this please be aware of the following.

Where it says :

"Now for the main lace pattern that is repeated until either you are driven stark raving loony or until the shawl is finished; it’s up to you. Instructions in (parentheses) are knit once on the first repeat, three times on the second repeat, five times on the third, and so on until either you are driven stark raving loony or until the shawl is finished; sense a theme here?"

Three times should be 2 times. Five times should be 3 times. I ripped and reknit 3 times before I figured out I wasn't doing something wrong, the pattern is. Putting the marker at the center stitch helps so a person doesn't have to actually count the repeats too, making things so much easier.

We have a possible explanation for what ate the hole in my yarn.


Isn't she sweet looking? I love her pink toes. But don't be fooled. She's only sweet when she's asleep.


This is grand kitty Lindy. On Saturday morning daughter Ruth brought her up to spend a few weeks at our house because Ruth has quite a few things going on at school that would just make it hard for her to take care of Lindy right now. When Lindy is living with her mommy, she has to be an inside cat all the time. At our house, though, she gets to go outside so she loves coming for a visit.

The first thing she did upon arrival was establish her dominance over the sweetest sleeping spot in the house (poor Silver, relegated to the basement)

"The queen has returned. I expect respect!"


Within an hour after that she brought into the house 1 dead mouse, 1 dead mole, and 1 live mole which she let go and sent me and Ruth scurrying all over until we caught it to return it outside. Later that night Ruth woke up in the middle of the night because Lindy had a dead mole and was playing with it under the bed. On Monday evening we discovered yet another live mouse that she obviously had brought into the house and let go. It was hanging out in the corner behind my bedroom door (which explained why Tommy was going completely nuts over trying to get in there all day) Lindy needs to learn NOT TO BRING HER FURRY TOYS IN THE HOUSE!

It was suggested by a fellow knitter on the Yahoo Knitalk group that it might be a mouse that chewed the hole in my yarn. Well, it's probably more than likely under the circumstances I've been dealing with of late. Didn't even think of a mouse. I should have. They like that kind of stuff for nests.

The good side of this, I guess, is a lot of rodents are being exterminated this week (putting Chenille and Silver to shame if you ask me).

This is Lindy, laughing at me.


"Mom, how long do we have to have her here?"


Have a good day.




~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment