"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/1/08

Update on Me.

I thought I'd post an update on how I'm doing.

Improving even as I speak. My leg is still twice as big as it should be, but I can walk on it a bit now, and the pain levels are decreasing. I am no longer using the wheelchair when I go in for my blood tests. I walked this morning. Boy, did it feel good-even though it hurt like hell. So the treatment they've got me on must be working.

Had my follow up check up with Dr. Holman, my surgeon, yesterday. His comment was "The surgery was a success, but the patient died." Hee hee! Glad to see he can keep his sense of humor. He really is an awesome person. I'd recommend him to anyone who finds themselves needing some general surgery.

The fact is, the blood clot thing had nothing to do with him. I'm prone to clots, the evidence has been there pointing out that fact for a few years, my regular doctor missed the symptoms. If I had known 3 weeks ago what I know now, this would not have happened. We could have taken the steps to prevent it before the surgery ever took place.

Now, I'd like to address a couple of questions that have been asked in the comments.

Blogger Kate/Massachusetts said...

Your socks are gorgeous! How do you match them so perfectly? Mine always seem to be "off" a bit. Glad your feeling better.

Well, I'm really picky about how I start my socks. I tend to waste a bit of yarn at the start of the ball looking for a good place to start that first stitch.

When I start the first sock, I make note of where I'm casting on the first stitch in the color repeat pattern of the yarn. For instance, in the recently finished Opal socks, I noticed a distinct point in the yarn where it changed from white to brown. I cast on the first stitch at that point. I did the same on the second sock. It's a matter of paying attention to how the colors are striping-in what order, and whatnot, and taking advantage of that knowledge.

Blogger Kate/Massachusetts said...

I'm glad to hear you're on the upswing. Hopefully you will feel a bit better every day. Will you have to take anticoagulants for the next six months?

Not the anticoagulants. I'm done with them. I will have to take the blood thinners for a few months though. I can handle that. It's just a pill or two. No needles. Well, even that isn't accurate because I have to get blood tests 3 times a week while I'm on this stuff. But I'm not poking the needle into me. Someone else is. That seems to make a difference in my outlook on life.

Is anyone else as excited as I am that the Season Premier of Pushing Daisies is on tonight? WOOT!

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment