"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

5/12/08

OMG!

Mothers day started on Friday afternoon for me, when the UPS truck arrived with a delivery. I was handed a large box that contained this:



except on Friday it looked like a basket of moss. It is a fairly good sized bulb garden planted in a large pot inside a picnic basket. There are 84 bulbs. This is a gift from my daughter Sarah and her fiance Frank. I am having a blast with it. What colors will these flowers be? The bulbs started growing immediately after I watered them. In just 3 days, look how much they've grown?

Sarah and Frank came over for dinner and Ruth came home from school too, so I had my whole family home for dinner. Before dinner we took a walk on the Parkarosa together looking for wild flowers. Here are just a couple of them we spotted.

Buttercups



One of my absolute favorites, I am surprised how many of these are around this year:
Shooting Star



I will have more pics to post later this week.

On Saturday Sweet Hubby took me into Coeur d'Alene to purchase a Mothers Day gift. He bought me a new refrigerator in black with an in-the-door ice maker. Don't have it yet cos it had to be ordered. It will be delivered in about a week. I am so surprised. I've been asking for a new fridge for about 3 years or so. The one we have is getting very very old, and is not working like it used to. I am very excited.

In the evening we went over to BIL Dan's house for a family bar-b-que. Basically, it was a meeting to form a plan. A plan for a trip to Mexico next January. We found the place we want to go, and the place we want to stay, and now we're all excited. We're going to rent a house near Cancun on the Yukatan peninsula, right on the beach, for a week. Mmmm, beach...........

On Sunday we went to the movies and saw Iron Man. It was a pretty good film. Very entertaining, lots of action, some very very funny parts in it. Definitely based on a comic book. I enjoyed it.

After the movie we went out to dinner at Bardenays Restaurant and Distillery. It was wonderful. They have really good food there. Sarah gave me some chocolate Truffles and Fudge. Then Sweet Hubby, Ruth, and I came home so we could watch the Survivor finale. I ate most of the truffles. Mmmmm, were they ever good!

All in all, it was a very very nice Mothers Day weekend. Thank you Sarah, Frank, Ruth, and Sweet Hubby. I love you's.

Today we expected Ruth to be leaving on a geology field trip for Montana for 3 weeks. However, something came up which has prevented her from being able to go. She was devastated. She's been looking forward to the trip for a year, but sometimes things don't work out as you planned. I won't go into why she can't go. It's not important for anyone outside our family to know. She will be able to go next year, so all is not lost.

Anyway, it looks like she'll be home with us all summer. I wasn't expecting that. I thought about it a bit and decided this may be an opportunity for me to try something I've been wanting to do for quite some time. Look at this:




My daughter, Ruth, is knitting. See? Knitting needles in her hands!


Today I asked her if she'd let me teach her. She surprised me by saying yes, she'd be willing to try it.

So, not to let any moss grow under me, or give her a chance to change her mind, we hopped into the car and headed for Coeur d'Alene to Harmony Yarns where we purchased a set of size 7 circular needles and some pretty brown variegated superwash wool so she can make a hat. When we got home I got some scrap yarn to practice with and taught her how to cast on, the knit stitch, and the purl stitch. I spent about half an hour on it, then told her that was the end of todays lesson and she was free to keep practicing with the scrap yarn if she wanted. Ask me any questions at any time. We'd start the hat tomorrow.

She knitted (and purled) for 2 HOURS!!! She got fast at it, and her tension evened up really quickly. She has a natural aptitude for it! She said, and I quote, "Knitting is easy!" Not only that------SHE ENJOYED IT!!!!!

My God, I think I've died and gone to heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment