"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/3/08

The Birds

As I write this, the sun is shining, the sky is blue, the air is crystal clear ....... and it's 15F degrees out. This is April, right? Well, at least we're not getting a snow dump.

I got some great pics of the birds at my feeder. Here's a male Red Crossbill munching on a big seed.



I got the male Common Redpoll.


This picture, though, is the one that got me excited. There were two male Red Crossbills munching out, so I took this pic. It wasn't until I downloaded it into my computer and looked at it that I saw her. She was a complete surprise cos I didn't see her when I was actually taking the pic (still haven't). See that greenish yellow bird looking around the corner of the feeder on the right? That, my friends, is a female Red Crossbill. SCORE!


Yesterday I dropped into a couple book stores and bought some bird books to help me identify these new birds popping up in my yard-like that stripey little brown one above. I have no idea what that is, but suddenly I've got about a dozen of them hanging around.


Okay, I got a little carried away maybe, but all three were so good I couldn't decided which one.

Birds of Idaho Field Guide by Stan Tekiela

National Geographic Complete Birds of North America


National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds-Western Region.

And now for some Iggy love.

Tommy was watching the birds yesterday.



I think a dose of Iggy butt is in order.



Now, the news. I am leaving this afternoon to go on a small weekend getaway. My sisters-in-law and my niece are going too. We are in need of a break after all the snow induced stress we've had lately. I will be back to posting next Monday.

Until then, have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Love the bird photos - I love seeing the birds at my feeders!

    ReplyDelete