"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/6/07

Our Knit Wits Donation Meeting

To all my loved ones who might be reading this. A pic of me might be in the newspaper, if not today, than some day soon. Don't know if it was the Spokesman Review, or the Coeur d'Alene Press. I didn't ask. There was a reporter and a photographer at our Knit Wits meeting yesterday, and pics were taken of us sitting at the table knitting (and laughing, as usual). They interviewed some of the members, but not me. I think I was too young. I noticed they interviewed the members that were 80 or over. Left us young 'uns alone. Just took lots of pictures of us.

Why the attention? It was the official 'Donation' meeting, where all the stuff we've been making all year is brought to the meeting (bags and bags and bags of stuff) and given to the various organizations we've been knitting, and crocheting, for. We had a total of 1636 items. Not bad for a couple dozen yarnaholics. I felt so good about being a member of the Knit Wits at that meeting. It is wonderful to be able to use my passion to help others. By the way, they're calling me the groups toy maker. There were lots of toys, I only made three of them, but I'm the toy maker. I thought that was funny.

Wait 'til I start making Gnomes!

Jan didn't bring the yarn to the meeting. Our yarn is stored at her house and each month she packs it all into her car (I mean STUFFS it all in her car. When she opens the door upon arriving, a bag always flies out under the pressure.) and brings it to the meeting. We unpack it, have a feeding frenzy, then pack what's left back in her car. She didn't bring the yarn because her car was stuffed full of bags of donation items. No room for yarn.

The funniest thing that happened at the meeting? Someone else brought a donation of yarn in a small bag. Geez! The feeding frenzy that followed was hilarious! You'd think some of these gals hadn't seen yarn in years! Got projects to make for next year! Need yarn! I managed to snag some purple cotton. Stocking up for Gnomes.

I am really impressed by the output of some of our members. Some of the ladies will get 2 or 3 afghans done in a month, or half a dozen shrugs, or a dozen slippers, or 5 baby outfits. My measly little one item every 2 months seems so... pathetic.

If you live in the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho area, and you have machine washable yarns that you won't be using, we would love to take it off your hands. You can leave your donation at the

Lake City Senior Center

1918 Lakewood Drive
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho

Or leave me a comment with your email address and I'll get a hold of you about picking it up if it's necessary.

If you wanna join our group? We meet at the Lake City Senior Center the 1st Wednesday of the month at 1-3pm. There are no dues or fees. You just have to knit the yarn we have into donation items. We get free dessert and coffee too, plus lots of laughing. Laughing is always good.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment