"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/12/13

Nice To Be Home

Warning! Long post!

I came home on Wednesday the 10th. It feels so good to be back. For one thing, spring is at home, unlike in northern Michigan where winter is still going strong. It was a balm to my eyes to see green lawns and pink flowered trees on the drive from the airport to my house. My daffodils are just starting to open up. Everything else is budding up. Yay! So glad to be out of winter at last.

My father is still slowly recovering. I don't know how long he'll be in rehab. It depends on him, for the most part. I did receive the news that he ate cherry cheesecake and drank some milk yesterday. His legs are still very weak. I'm hoping their strength will come back sooner than later.

The flights home were bumpy. I mean, really bumpy. The flight attendants couldn't even give us soda pop and snacks because the planes were tossed around quite a bit. We all were buckled in our seats and hanging on. I have never been so glad to touch land as I was on those three legs of the trip. (I had 2 layovers, one in Detroit MI and one in Minneapolis/St. Paul MN.)

So, I got some knitting done on the trip. Didn't work on anything complicated. Just couldn't concentrate well enough to do it. The stress was very difficult to deal with. So I just set St. Brigid aside until I get home. I did take along some yarn to make matching hats for the recently finished baby sweaters.


Electric Green Waffle Hat

Pattern: Bumpy Jacket and Hat by Fawn Pea made for Knitwits

Yarn: In the Loop Sport from BigLots!.
Content: 100% Acrylic
Color: Electric Green

Yarn: In the Loop Sport from BigLots!.
Content: 100% Acrylic
Color: black

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 6

Cast on: March 21, 2013
Completed: March 29, 2013

Comments: This was a fun pattern. I love how it looks with it's matching sweater.




Next we have another baby hat for Knitwits.


Waffle Hat

Pattern: Bumpy Jacket and Hat by Fawn Pea made for Knitwits

Yarn: In the Loop Baby from BigLots!.
Content: 100% Acrylic
Color: pale turquoise

Yarn: In the Loop Baby from BigLots!.
Content: 100% Acrylic
Color: white

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 6

Cast on: March 29, 2013
Completed: March 31, 2013

Comments: I did decrease the crown a little differently than the pattern said to, but I'm kind of loathe to try and remember what I did. Here it is with it's matching sweater.



I visited a yarn shop in Petosky, MI called Cynthia's Too and bought some skeins of Berroco Vintage, which is an Acrylic/Superwash wool blend. I love working with this yarn. It feels so good and knits so nicely. By the way, should you find yourself in Petosky, it is worth it to stop in. The shop is wonderful. It was a real soul soother when I stepped in it. All those textures and colors. I actually felt a little better after visiting it.

I made some mens mittens with one of the Berroco Vintage yarns.



Seed Stitch Striped Mittens for Men

Pattern: Seed Stitch Striped Mittens for Men by Me.

Yarn: Berroco Vintage Colors
Color: Variegated greens/turquoise/purples
Content: 50% Acrylic/40% Wool/10% Nylon.

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 5.

Size: Mens Medium (8.5 inch hand circumference, 11 inches long)

Cast on: April 1, 2013
Bound off: April 4, 2013

Comments: I made these with the intent to give them to Knitwits, but my brother-in-law, Dale, liked them so much I gave them to him instead. The above pic was taken with my phone, before blocking. Well, blocking never happened cuz Dale took them before I could do it. It's nice to have my knitting appreciated.

So, that's what I got finished. I also started a second pair of mittens with another variegated skein of Berroco Vintage. These will go to Knitwits.



The last 3 days I was in Michigan I stayed with my baby sister, Jodie, and her husband. I had a wonderful visit with them. My sister is into dolls (actually, both my sisters are.). She makes clothes for a few different ones and sells them on Ebay. She's doing pretty good too. Her most recent 'obsession' is the Ellowyn Wilde dolls by Robert Tonner. Of course, I had to see her dolls, and her sewing room, and oh no I'm in trouble now!

Before I knew what happened, I was ordering my own Ellowyne Wilde doll with the intent to knit clothing for her. I can hardly wait until she arrives, which will be some time next week. This is the doll I ordered.

Essential Ellowyne Five-Blonde

My sister has a book with a couple knitting patterns for this doll. She lent it to me. I've already cast on the first sweater.


I am having so much fun knitting this. It's right up my alley. Skinny yarns and tiny needles. I want to design knitwear for this doll. 

I've been doing a ton of research on the fashion dolls that are available. What's popular, etc. I decided I want to design for another doll line too, so I've ordered a set of Monster High dolls. I ordered the Scaris Duo: Lagoona Blue and Cleo De Nile. They're so cute!



They should arrive next week too. I've got so many ideas for clothing, and my daughter Ruth is excited too. We're going to do this together. We're talking about being partners and opening a little online business selling our doll knits. I haven't been this excited about something in quite a while!

My sister is a dachshund lover. She rescues and fosters them when the need arises. She has 3 of her own. They took to me rather quickly. Such sweet dogs. They helped fill the achey spot from missing Cable. I took pictures.

This is Dapple, her little male. He loves to sit and watch out the front window. He guards the house quite well.



This is Maggie. She's the sweetest little thing. Loved laying against me with her head on my lap when I sat on the couch.



Lila is the spotted white and red one in this pic. She would not sit still for me even for a second. This was the best picture I could get of her. She's a little rascal. Very active.



If you are in to the Ellowyne Wilde dolls, please take a look at my sisters Ebay store and her Facebook page. She makes lovely clothing for purchase. She has a web site too: Jodie Creations

Well, that's the news for now.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment