"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/26/12

Weekend Yarn Acquisition

So, how was your weekend? Mine was good. On Saturday the local spinning group had their annual Spin-In, which my daughter and I dropped by for just a bit to peruse the market. I wasn't able to spend the whole day there like I usually do. I got to say hello to my friends and I found a booth of sock yarn that was hard on my bank account. I bought 4 skeins of it. All of it is from Raven Ridge Fiber Arts, hand painted, and feels and looks incredible.

This colorway is called Peacock and it's 438 yards of scrumptious Superwash Merino Wool/Silk blend. It has a wonderful sheen to it. Lots of blues, purples, and a dash of teal.

Peacock

This one is called Pine Bark. It is also 438 yds of Superwash Merino/Silk blend. I'd never seen this mix of colors in one skein before. A sort of dusty pink, light eggplant, moss green, browns, and a dash of grey.

Pine Bark

This one is also called Pine Bark. However, it is browner shades of the same colors as in the skein above. It's 365 yds of a Superwash Merino/Tencel blend. The Tencel really makes it shiny. The yarn above and this one show how different fibers take dyes differently.

Pine Bark

This one is another 438 skein of Superwash Merino/Silk blend. I was drawn to the silk blends like a moth to the flame. It's called Mountain Blue Bird and is different shades of blue from Indigo to Turquoise
.
Mountain Bluebird

I do not know what I'm going to make with these. For now I'm just petting them and extremely happy to have them in my stash.

Speaking of stash, there is another yarn acquisition I wanted to share with you. A couple weeks ago I bought another one of my friend Ray's Blog Reader Special sock yarns.

Blog Reader Special 2012-0066

I think it's a wonderful blend of greens, purples, and browns. It reminds me of artichoke hearts. I was happy to buy it off his hands.

On Sunday we had a beautiful day! Sunshine, blue sky, and it got up into the 50's. I had to sit out on the deck and knit. I worked on the February Lady Sweater. Here's where I'm at so far.



In the evening we went and saw the new movie John Carter. It was excellent! Unfortunately, because of the way Disney marketed this movie, it is a flop. Very few people have gone to see it. Originally it was going to be called John Carter of Mars but the marketing execs decided the title was too geeky and probably wouldn't appeal to non-geeky people. So they took the Mars part off, which is a real shame because I know that's why people aren't going to see it. If you think about it, the biggest hit movies are geeky. Star Wars, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, etc. The Geeks rule the world right now. Apparently they forgot that.

The other reason I think it's a flop is because no one really knows what it's about. They don't know it's based on a classic Sci-Fi series written in the early 1900's by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

The movie is based on The Princess of Mars, the first of a series of novels about a civil war vet who accidentally gets transported to Mars, meets, and falls in love with a Princess, and saves the day. The special effects are awesome. The CGI was so good I couldn't tell where it ended and the real began. I loved the Martian aliens. It was fun to watch from start to finish. I wish it had been a hit. Then there could have been a sequel, or 2, or 5 because there's 5 books in the series. Last night I bought them for my Nook. I read the first one when I was in elementary school (I've always been a Sci-Fi geek) but I never read the rest. Time to get around to doing that.

While I was getting the John Carter of Mars series for my Nook I downloaded a collection of the Tarzan novels, also by Edgar Rice Burroughs. He wrote 25 books in that series. I got the whole collection for $3.99. What a deal! I looked on Amazon and they have the same collection for Kindle.

Before I read either of those, I need to read the books I bought before them. I ran across the sequels for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo in paper back and bought them both. I've been reading Bone Walker and finally finished it yesterday morning, so I can start The Girl Who Played With Fire. Wow, I've got a lot of reading lined up.




Last, but not least, these are some flowers I bought for myself. I got them at Costco. They have brightened up the whole house. Especially today. It's been dark and snowing all day long.

Live long and prosper.\\//

1 comment:

  1. I approve of all your yarn purchases! =) They're all gorgeous. We loved John Carter, too (the hubby's been fairly obsessed with it since they announced it was being made...we love Andrew Stanton, the director, too. Why didn't Disney market "from the director of Finding Nemo"???? But I digress.) The only thing I didn't like about it was the "backstory" they gave John Carter. I thought it derailed the momentum of the movie, and I'm so tired of "emotionally damaged" heroes I could scream! I so wish they would make more of the books into movies, but it's not looking so good now. =(

    ReplyDelete