"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/25/08

Water Nymphs

Whew! They're done and out of my hair at last.

The sock hate is gone. I'm falling in love with my new socks. I actually enjoyed the last couple hours of knitting them. That part being fixing the ribbing on the first one. I decided on 2x2 twisted ribbing, instead of the 1x1 I started with. I like how they turned out. They fit me very well and are quite comfortable.




Stitch pattern detail.



Pattern: Summer 2008 Socks by Wendy Johnson

Yarn: HL Miller Cheeky Monkey Sock Yarn in Water Nymph

Needles: Two size 2 Addi Turbo Lace Circulars

Cast On: July 28, 2008
Completed: August 24, 2008

Comments: These are my first toe-up socks. I'm not sure why, but for a long time I've had a sort of prejudice against toe up socks. However, after making these? I'm sold!. I really like the way they're cast on and the construction of the toe, heel, and heel flap. The pattern is well written and easy to follow.

My only complaint is with the stitch pattern. It is very very stretchy and loose because it's a garter stitch lace pattern. The instructions say to knit a size smaller than you would ordinarily, which in principle will work. However, the ribbing will be too tight, so add a few extra stitches on before you knit the ribbing.

I learned something new for the bind off. A regular ribbed bind off is not loose enough for the top edge of a sock cuff. I learned a really stretchy bind off that works great. I did all knit stitches, rather than ribbing, which gave the cuff a sort of slightly scalloped look that I think is really pretty.

All in all, even though they were a bit of a struggle for me to finish, I am lovin' these socks.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruth went back to school yesterday. I miss her terribly. The furkids are not missing Lindy though. This is the most relaxed I've seen the four of them since she arrived last May. Chenille is back to laying in my lap while I'm using the computer.

2 things happening today:

1) Voting on the Socks on Vacation photo is now closed. The winner may be announced today. I will be hovering around Ravelry, waiting impatiently and keeping my fingers crossed!

2) I have to go pick up my beaded fair entries this afternoon. I won't get the knitted ones back until the Knitwits meeting next week.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Which bind off technique did you use? I am such a tight knitter that neither of them are loose enough for me unless I modify them. My calf measures about 11 inches - I ended up taking a 28 oz can of tomato sauce and sticking it into the cuff and THEN binding off around the can (sewn b/o that is). sheesh! Fiddly but I have no problems now with the bind off being too tight! I get lots of odd looks, too, when I do the bind off in public. lol

    ReplyDelete