"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/7/08

Kit Price Camping

Warning, today it's a long one!

Last Wednesday Sweet Hubby and I packed up the trailer and headed for Kit Price campground on the north fork of the Coeur d'Alene River for the weekend. We had a great time camping. We had an awesome camp spot that was very private and right on the river.

The weather was hot and humid. On Thursday it was in the 90's and 78% humidity. We just don't get humidity like that, so it was pretty incapacitating. I felt like the weight of the world was trying to crush me cos the air was so oppressive.

Sweet Hubby went for a bike ride in the morning while it was still halfway cool. While he was gone I did some beading (which I'll share at a later date), some reading, took the fur sons for a nice long walk, and did a bit of knitting. After he got back from his ride we pretty much sat around drinking cold beverages and trying to find a way to cool off.

Later in the afternoon brother in law Dan, Sue, and nephew Nate showed up and set up camp next to us. We then went about the business of cooling ourselves off again. We found the best way was to put our camp chairs in the river, and sit with our feet in the river. I would say my body temp dropped a good 20 degrees when I did that. Nate swam in the river, and Sweet Hubby fished. By the way, he caught a total of 6 trout over the weekend. Unfortunately we couldn't eat them. Catch and release only.

While sitting in the river, I worked on my Straight Laced socks. I wish I had thought to have Sue take a photo of me doing it. I would have liked that. I only dropped the ball of yarn in the water once, and since it's superwash wool, I didn't worry about it.

Another great thing about sitting in the river was the Syringa was in bloom all over. The air was thick with their tropical scent. It was so nice. Syringa, also known as Mock Orange, is Idaho's state flower.

I finished the socks on Friday, July 4th.


Pattern: Straight Laced Socks.
Yarn: Socks That Rock Lightweight in Beryl colorway.
Needles: Size 2 Addi Turbo Lace Circular.
Cast On: June 21, 2008
Completed: July 4, 2008

Comments: I chose this pattern because I wanted to learn how to knit 2 socks at the same time on my 2 circular needles. I like the pattern. It's nice and easy. However, I discovered I do not like knitting 2 socks at the same time. It was easy to do, easier than I expected. Just don't like it. I guess I'm a one-at-a-time girl. At least I gave it a try.

On Friday we had planned to float the river for the afternoon, to keep cool, but we had unexpected company- a large contingent from 'the family' showed up. My sister-in-law Kathryn and her family came to enjoy the day. Kathryn, her son Scott along with his wife Stacy and their 3 kids, her son Mike and his wife Shana and their 3 kids, and Shana's parents. It was a rather large crowd.

Then Sarah and Frank showed up (we were expecting them). They set up camp, then we all sat around the camp fire visiting for a couple hours.

Later in the afternoon nephew Nate had a rather nasty accident. He lost control of his bike and managed to smack his head on the pavement hard enough to knock himself out. He was bleeding pretty profusely and acting kind of flaky, so Dan and Sue took him to the hospital. They did a cat scan on his head and he turned out to be fine, thankfully! But he'll have a nasty headache for a few days.

On Saturday the weather cooled off some. Originally we had planned to hike up to Fern Falls this day, but because of the company the day before, we decided to skip the hike and head for the river instead. I decided I would skip the river float and stayed with the fur kids in camp. We did a bit of walking, I did a lot of reading, and I knit. I also went around taking pictures of wild flowers. I had a great time snapping the pics, then zooming in to see what they look like magnified. You will be amazed at how much the eyes miss in a flower.

Here's a small wild rose. The flower is about the size of a quarter.


Look how beautiful it is in the center when magnified. I love the little pink velvety balls in the center, and the little yellow spade shaped pistils.


I do not know what kind of flower this is. It looks so delicate and lacy. I've looked all over the internet, in both my wild flower books, and I can't seem to find it.


When you look at the green balls in the center though, what a surprise! White curlicues!


Also known locally as Sugar Scoop, this is a really tiny flower, 3 to 4mm wide. I was surprised to discover how hairy the petals are.


Sunday we packed everything back up and headed for home. I wish I could have stayed a few more days, but Sweet Hubby has a job that he must go to.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend - beautiful flower pictures! Love the socks too...

    ReplyDelete