"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

1/24/13

And Loving It

This is going to be my last post until after the cruise. We're flying out tomorrow, headed for Orlando, Florida. Finally, I'm getting out of the snow and cold! YAY! I've been pretty busy preparing for the trip, which is why I haven't blogged much lately. I have been knitting when I have free time because I decided I MUST wear the chevron sweater on my vacation. Last night I finished it. I tried it on with great trepidation. Would it fit? Would I like it? Well, I need not have worried. It fits perfect and I LOVE it!


Chevron Pullover

Pattern: Thistle Ridge Top by Margaret Fisher
Published in Winter 2005 Cast On magazine.

Yarn: Incanto by Zitron Yarns in #03 Blues and Greys
Content: 35% Cotton, 30% Acrylic, 23% Linen, 12% Rayon / Worsted weight

Yarn: Berroco Comfort in Cadet Blue
Content: 50% Nylon, 50% Acrylic

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 8

Cast on: July 8, 2011
Completed: January 23, 2013

Comments: I love the pattern. It was pleasant to knit, well written too. I had to enlarge it because it only goes up to size L. I was worried the fabric might be heavier than I would be comfortable in because it's garter stitch chevron, but it is very comfortable. 

The Incanto yarn is very hard to work with. It has a shiny strand of Rayon wound around the yarn that likes to unwind, split, and fuzz if you look at it cross eyes. But I persevered because I love the colorway. It also has little sharp bits of plastic caught in the plies every so often. I stopped and pulled them out, though I'm sure I missed a few. All in all, not really a very good quality yarn. I hope it wears better. I won't be using it again. In fact, I've already given the leftovers away.

The Berroco Comfort is very nice to knit with. It has a nice hand to it. It's several very thin strands plied loosely together. When I crocheted the neckline though, it was a bear to use. It constantly wanted to split.  I would not crochet anything big with this yarn.

Back of sweater

I really really love this stitch pattern. It's a 2-row repeat easily memorized. 



The neckline has a row of crochet to finish it. The pattern calls for single crochet, but I decided to do one sc, one hdc, one dc, one trbl, then reverse that so the scallops would fill up making the edge smooth. Not my best crochet job certainly, but good enough.

Front neckline


 I also single crocheted around the sleeve edges. The sleeves have an interesting construction that I've not done before.

Sleeve edge

You pick up stitches along the armholes, knit a few rows straight, then do several rows of short rowing that creates a wonderful curved cap sleeve. I really like how it fits.

Front of sweater

It's in the dryer (on low) now so I will be wearing it tomorrow.

I got one sleeve done on the baby cardigan.



That will be it until I get back. I'm not taking this project with me. For travel knitting, I've packed some Cascade Superwash Sport for a sweater I'm going to make for my son-in-law. I love the feel of this yarn. It's every bit as soft as cashmere. I'm looking forward to working with it.



The pattern is from Drops Designs web site. I have chosen Mocha Brown for the main color. Cream for the second color, Extra Creme Cafe for color three, and Lemon for color 4. I am going to substitute octopus for the deer. I've found an awesome chart that is free on Ravelry that I will incorporate so I won't have to draw one myself. I plan to cast on this evening to calm my brain because I am so excited, and nervous.

I've also packed a bit of sock yarn and needles to make a couple pair of baby socks. I doubt I'll get to them, but I don't want to get bored. Heh heh. Bored on a cruise to the Bahamas? I think not.

Today a package arrived in the mail. I ordered this a few days ago.



It's a ChiaoGoo interchangeable needle set. I liked the one I got my daughter for Christmas so much I decided to get one for me. I like the points. They are nice and sharp, and the cables are wire coated with nylon. Very flexible but not flimsy. The join between the needles and cables is very smooth. I used one on the baby sweater sleeve at the Yarnies meeting this morning and I love knitting with them. They are very nice needles.

So, that is the news for now. Try to keep yourselves out of trouble while I'm gone. I will try to post while on my trip, but I'm not taking my laptop so I don't know if I will be able to or not. There's supposed to be a computer room on the ship we can use. If so, I'll post. If not, well, you'll hear from me when I get back after the 5th of February.

Until then...

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment