"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

1/26/11

WIP Wednesday 1/26/2011


I don't know if you've noticed, but I have a lot of projects going on at once. I used to be a one-project-at-a-time kind of person. I was almost anal about it. I could not start anything until the current one was finished.

I don't know exactly what happened, but about 10 years ago I started doing more than one project at a time. Now I have several going at once. I'll work on one thing, then if I get tired of it, bored, or the eyes just can't take it any more, I'll switch to one of my other projects. Some days I'll work on several in one day. Some get set aside for months, but eventually I end up finishing them.

On rare occasions, like with the Margaret Tudor sweater, I realize I've made a bad decision starting it in the first place and frog it, then go on to use the materials for some other project that I would be happier with. Sometimes I will start something, force myself to finish it, and then be really unhappy with it just because I don't like it. If that happens, I put it in time out for awhile, then after suitable time has passed (I stop hating it with passion) I will take it out and make the changes to make me happy. I find it's always worth the hassle to do this. I'm totally pro-making myself happy.


I find that I'm much more productive than I used to be. I'll go along working on this, working on that, start feeling like I never get something done, and then boom! I'll have 15 things done within a month.

Anyway, when I first started getting into polymer clay (yeah-I do that on occasion too.) I was teaching myself about making canes and I did a cabochon (my first clay one) with some matching beads that I turned into a necklace I called Planets in Space. (I am so proud of that tiny little space shuttle.)


I've never been quite happy with how it turned out. So I've taken it apart.

This month, in one of the beading Yahoo groups I'm in, we're doing a 'challenge'. The topic is flat tubular peyote. In other words, peyote that is beaded flat, and then sewn into a tube. I'm using this challenge to fix the Planets in Space necklace. I'm making a whole bunch of tiny little peyote beads. So far, I've got 21 of them. My goal is 40. I'm using black iris delicas with random metallic gold delicas here and there. It's supposed to represent space and stars.


I'm going to take the fringe off the cabochon too cuz I hate it (it doesn't hang right) and do something else. I'm not sure what yet. I intend to use all the other beads that were in the original necklace too (in that bag in the picture).


That's my WIP for today. If you're interested in participating in WIP Wednesday, please join us.

Live long and prosper.\\//

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what that pendant becomes - I already think it's lovely.

    We are very similar knitters. I like to have about 3 projects going at a time - something "big" like a blanket or sweater, something intricate and/or lacy, and some kind of immediate gratification kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much the same for me. I keep different projects going for various places. I always try to have a no brainer easy type of project, something that is easily portable that I can take up and downstairs and to travel with. And the harder projects that require concentration or have a bunch of parts stay in my craft room.

    I'd love to see a closeup of the shuttle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like working on several different projects at a time. It keeps each project fresh.

    I love the pendant, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, can't wait to see it! So pretty. Who made the blue and white beads?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this will look really cool when it is complete. Can't wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think instead of fringe, you should add a "nebula cloud" around your cabochon. Use star beads, some swirlies of color, black. But give it density & a fluffy quality. Like you're peering through space at a space shuttle through a telescope?

    ReplyDelete