"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/19/08

All is Well, and Snowy, on the Parkarosa

I'm chugging away on the Christmas knitting. Roberts scarf is done, except for weaving in 2 ends, and blocking. As you can see, it's got a curling problem.


Since the scarf was done, I was sort of casting around for another simple portable project to take with me to knitting group on Wednesday (yes, I was crazy enough to go out in the storm. This happened before the tractor broke but I could still get out of the driveway). I don't really want to start a pair of socks until after the holidays. My eyes fell upon a ball of black Fluffy (N.Y.Yarns) that I bought last year to make a pair of fingerless mitts for Sarah. I'd promised those to her for last years Christmas. I better get them done. The first mitt is done, more or less.


I need a gift for one of my best friends, Phyllis. I have decided to give her beaded jewelry. I had a project in mind, a fringe bead necklace, inspired by the eye candy on this blog:

businka-lisa

This gal is so incredibly talented with her use of color combination and whatnot. She's an inspiration to me. I spent hours yesterday feasting my eyes on her eye candy. I just wish I could read Russian.

However, I don't know how long it will take for me to learn how to make fringe beads (I have the info, just need to put it to use). Besides that, the subject for this month in my Learn2Bead group is spirals. You know how much I LOVE making spirals! So this morning I decided to finish the necklace I was going to make with this cab and give it to her.


I'm making a spiral rope for the necklace part. The cab will be the pendant. I'm trying something just a smidge different with this spiral. I'm going up 2 core beads at a time, instead of one. So far, I'm liking it. Gives the rope a more svelte appearance, and the core color is showing more, which is what the goal is.


After I get this done, I will attempt to make a fringe bead. If I get it done before Christmas, she can have that instead.

Sweet Hubby got the tractor and the snowblower fixed yesterday, and cleaned out some paths in the snow for us, and the animals. It didn't stop snowing until about 5p.m. Coeur d'Alene got 37 inches of snow in 35 hours. All records for snow amounts achieved in one 24 hour period have been broken. Doncha love global warming. Heh heh.....

Anyway, the sun came out this morning, and I have to admit, as much as I hate snow, it is absolutely gorgeous when the sun shines on fresh snowfall. So I took a few pics to share with you this morning.

Down the hill in the back yard. Sweet Hubby blows a trail to the tv dishes so we can wipe them off when they get covered with enough snow to block the signal. I am amazed how many deer tracks criss cross down there.


The backyard. Those sticks around the little cherry tree on the left are 4 feet tall.


I was standing on the back porch when I took the above pictures. I looked up, and saw this fascinating curve of snow hanging over me. The wind blew it that way.


The view down the driveway.


My daughters poor car (the green one) . Believe it or not, these cars were cleared off yesterday, even though we weren't going anywhere. I love the pile of snow on The Closet (our storage shed). It makes me think of marshmallows. Yum...marshmallows.......


I'm glad the wind blew a bit last night. It helped decrease the roof load. We're probably going to need to shovel the roof off this weekend. The snow is really light and fluffy, but if it gets warm enough to start melting it's gonna get really heavy.

The fur kids seem to be handling the snow fairly well. Having trails blown around the house helps. They can go out and run around a bit. Sweet Hubby blows a trail all the way around the house just for them.

I need to get crackin' on that beading, and knitting. Less than a week left to go!

Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Well I guess it is snowy there!

    Our foot of snow came with some rain and sleet, making for some of the heaviest snow ever to be shoveled here in SW Michigan.

    I am sore and so ready for spring. And wondering how I'm ever going to get through Christmas with all the snow in the forecast for next week. I just want to stay home and hibernate, not drive around and celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It's gorgeous, but boy does it make my feet cold just to look at those. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete