"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/6/07

Pea Pod Baby Cardigan

I've just realized this is the first sweater I've finished since I closed the shop. Boy, does it ever feel good! And people wonder why I knit? What feels better than the accomplishment one gets, with but two sticks, turning string into something beautiful to clothe the human body. I present

Peas In A Pod


Click on pic to enlarge

Pattern: Peas In a Pod baby cardigan from 101 Knitting To Go Projects by House of White Birches. I love the way it turned out, but I caution beginners doing this pattern. It has problems, mostly by unclear instructions.

Yarn: Simply Soft by Caron Yarns-2 skeins of #2624 Light Country Blue. Worsted weight 100% acrylic. I'm not so sure about this yarn. I've never used it before. It was cheap in price-bought at Walmart, which usually means the quality is more than questionable. But no one around here carries my favorite quality worsted acrylic yarns (Encore by Plymouth, and Canadiana by Patons). Rather than mail order, I got this yarn. We'll see how it wears. It was a pleasure to knit with, so I have good hopes.

Needles: Size 4 and size 6 24-inch Addi Turbos. I rarely use straight needles. I much prefer circulars. The project is more portable, and the strain on the hands and wrists is greatly reduced using circulars. It also sits nicely in my lap while working.

I learned a new technique with this project. How to make cables without a cable needle. I feel like I've been set free. I love making cabled sweaters, love the feel and texture, the 3-Dness of it all. But I loath cable needles-mostly because I continually lose them while toting the projects around with me. Always thought of them as a necessary evil. Now I don't need them anymore. Hurray! I want to thank Grumperina for her wonderful tutorial on this technique.

I made this sweater as a gift for my daughter Sarah's friend, Charo, who is expecting her first baby in a couple months. I think Charo will love it. I am pleased with how the buttons look. I found them in my stash. There are a few mistakes that I did not correct. No one will notice them but me, so I'm not worried about it. All in all, I am quite pleased with how it turned out. In fact, I'm making a second one already. I intend to do something about those unclear instructions. while I'm at it.

Have a great day!

3/9/2012 ETA: This pattern is available for free! Linky -->  Peas in a Pod

2 comments:

  1. that is absolutely gorgeous!! You should be proud!!

    ReplyDelete