"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/15/07

Lets Start Again, Shall We?

I've been working on the baby Pea Pod Cardigan and it just isn't working. The yarn is too thick for the pattern. Initially I was going to just knit it anyway, adjusting the pattern as I went along for the inappropriate gauge I was getting, but the more I knit the less I liked it. This is supposed to be a baby sweater. Not something for a 4 year old. Sometimes that happens, yarn just doesn't fit. So I have completely ripped it out and dived into the pattern stash for something that will work with this yarn.

For the most part, I hate this yarn. It's old acrylic, and it's like knitting with nylon rope. I'm hoping it will soften up when it's washed. There are tricks I can try when I come to that step.

The pattern I have chosen instead is an Aran Baby Set from a 1972 magazine issue of McCalls Knitting Book 5. I've scanned the photo. It's pure coincidence that it's yellow.



I've made this set many times over the years. Makes a great gift for baby showers. The last time I made it, I used some Fizz Multi (S.R. Kertzer) fur yarn for the collar (the baby was a girl) and around the front edge of the bonnet. It turned out gorgeous.

Had a nice time at bead group yesterday. I made a lanyard for Ruth's little magnifier that she carries with her when she's out in the field looking at rocks. She came home yesterday to pick some things up that were forgotten and I gave it to her. Should have taken a pic, but didn't think of it. I used lots of stone and jasper beads like yellow jasper, rain forest jasper, black onyx, snowflake obsidian, turquoise, yellow turquoise, and whatnot. So the basic color scheme was limy green, black, silver, and turquoise. She really likes it, which pleases me no end. Next time she comes up I'll snag a pic.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. What an adorable sweater, I love vintage pattens so much. Good luck, maybe a softer yarn would be appropriate??

    ReplyDelete