"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/6/07

Red Peyote Spiral

The sun came out today. In fact, it got up to 57F. The snow is melting very fast. Spring is on its way-HURRAY!!! I hate winter so much.

Finally refilled the suet cages hanging on the plum tree out front. Lots of birds are happy with me. Today there was a male Flicker. He was so beautiful. Had bright orange/red on his tail and head. Two different types of woodpeckers, 2 small black birds, 2 Nuthatches, 3 Juncos, and the usual herd of Chickadees. The cats love to sit on the window sill and watch the show with me. Better than TV any day.

Here is the promised photo of my red Peyote Spiral necklace.


The peyote part is done with size 6 S/L red seed beads, size 8 transparent w/red lining seeds, size 8 gold luster red hex, size 11 dark red seeds, and size 15 metallic gold hex seeds. There's a size 8mm red faceted bead between the peyote and the spiral rope. The spiral rope section is the dark red 11 seeds around a core of the size 15 metallic gold hex seeds. The necklace is a total of 22 inches long. All in all, I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm working on a purple one now.

Went to bead group this morning. I worked on the purple peyote spiral. I also got some beads to do a double spiral rope. I'm using a sort of creamy ecru pearl color and a matte copper/tan/pinky sort of color. I'm anxious to get it started. I think if I make one of these for Gale to see (Gale owns the bead shop, Bead It, that I teach beading for), I'll be able to teach a class on it. I haven't done one in ages. So it will be fun.

Here are a couple more of my masterpieces.

A variation on my friend Cindy's Western African necklace pattern. I used peyote tubes instead of netted tubes.


This is one I call Dichroic in Black. I made this to wear on a cruise my hubby took me on January of last year.


This last one is called Purple Moon. The pattern is from a book titled Beadwork Creates Necklaces, published by Beadwork magazine. The original pattern is in white and called 'The Moon is Made of Brie Cheese'. I think purple looks better. Hee hee. This was my very first cabochon project.

1 comment:

  1. Those are pretty. You can make things I could never make.

    ReplyDelete