"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/18/17

Catching Up/Layette Set #22

It's been a busy busy summer. I am having a hard time finding opportunities to blog. I think I've taken on a bit too much. I will have to see about eliminating something before I go bat doo-doo crazy.

Since my last post we've been back east to visit my daughter and son-in-law in Rhode Island. We had a wonderful week with them. We visited the RISD art museum that is attached to Brown University with some wonderful art. I got to see one of my favorite Picasso paintings, Seated Woman With a Book -the real thing- in the flesh, so to speak. I was very surprised at how small it was. It was just 16 by 9 inches. I expected it to be much bigger. But it's still just as beautiful as I thought it would be. The whole museum was wonderful.

We also drove out to Cape Cod, visited an old Cotton Mill, and various other fun things. I enjoyed it so much.

After returning home my life has been full of lots of knitting meetings, club meetings, and whatnot. I attend too many meetings.

Last week I started teaching a beginning knitting class for the shop. I have 2 students and they are doing quite well. I'm very proud of them.

Last weekend we threw a party. My husband has wanted a garage warming party every since it was declared finished. He's been nagging and nagging, so I finally did it so I could have peace again. I invited his family and some friends. I did so much work throwing this thing, but it turned out great. Everyone I invited came, and even some I didn't know were in town showed up. I barbecued chicken and burgers, and served them along with 4 different salads (I made 3, bought 1), chips, and cold drinks. My sis-in-law brought a huge platter of sliced fruit, and everyone brought a dessert. As usual, no one went hungry. Everyone had a great time. Yay!

We also got a new roof.



They got it done in 3 days, except for the skylight in the kitchen. There's a big hole with a piece of plastic over it at the moment. The skylight is a very weird size in our house, so it had to be custom made. Should be here in about a week or so. I'm so happy with the roof. They did a fantastic job on it. The guys definitely have some pride in their workmanship. I highly recommend Mountain States Roofing if you live in the Coeur d'Alene area and need a roofer. We got metal so the snow will slide off. No more shoveling off the roof for us! Hurray!

I have managed to get some knitting done despite the  hectic pace the summer is at. I have finished Layette Set #22. Behold! (Lol!)


As you can see, I used a new pattern.

The Cardigan




PatternFeather and Fan Baby Sweater #80782AD by Lion Brand Yarn

Size made: 6 months

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted weight
Color: Denim

Yarn: Lion Brand Pound of Love
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted weight
Color: Light green

Needles: U.S. size 5 and 7 circulars

Started: June 4, 2017
Finished: June 26, 2017

Comments:  I decided to make this set decidedly feminine. I made an alteration in this pattern by using 2 colors for the feather and fan part. I changed colors every 4 rows. If I knit this again, I'm going to make it just a little longer. It feels a bit too short for my taste. You can see what I mean in this photo.



I found some cute buttons at Joann's.



The Hat



Pattern: Chibi Striped Baby Hat by Chiaki Hayashi

Size made: 6 months

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted weight
Color: Denim

Yarn: Lion Brand Pound of Love
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted weight
Color: Light green

Needles: U.S. size 7 circulars

Started: June 27, 2017
Finished: June 27, 2017

Comments: I used the Chibi Striped hat pattern as usual, but I put the feather and fan stitch pattern in it. It just happened to be the right number of stitches around that the pattern fit. I can't believe how quick it knit up too.

The Booties



Pattern: From my head

Size made: 6 months

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted weight
Color: Denim

Yarn: Lion Brand Pound of Love
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted weight
Color: Light green

Needles: U.S. size 7 circulars

Started: June 29, 2017
Finished: July 2, 2017

Comments: I winged these. I got lucky in that it worked the first time. Don't ask me how I did it. I've forgotten. Should have written it down, darn it! I'd like to make them again.



The blanket

I'm kind of sick of this fabric. You can see why I decided on feather and fan for this set though.



Pattern: From my head

Size made: 30 by 36 inches

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted weight
Color: Denim

Yarn: Lion Brand Pound of Love
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted weight
Color: Light green

Hook: U.S. size G

Started: July 3, 2017
Finished: July 6, 2017

Close up of edging.



So, that is Layette set 22. I've started set 23. I needed a break from the color scheme I've been knitting the last 2 months, so I've chosen something bright.



Another bit of news. Almost forgot this. I have a new doll! Someone in one of the Facebook doll groups I follow put this little girl up for sale for a mere $50. I fell in love with her adorable face.

Wearing an Ellowyne Wilde wig and a dress my sister made for Ellowyne.

I've done some research and found out she's a Paulette Goodreau doll, specifically Dorothy, from Wizard of Oz. She came to me naked, with 2 pairs of eyes and no hair. She is a real bjd doll, but made of vinyl instead of resin. Originally, she was sold with an outfit. I will have to prowl Ebay until I can find one to purchase for her. Goodreau dolls were only made for a few years, then the owner retired in 2012 and shut the whole thing down. They are the only American made bjd dolls.

Dottie is 16 inches tall and fits some of my Ellowyne Wilde dresses, skirts, and tops. Not so much the pants though, and Dotties feet are quite a bit bigger than Ellowynes. I'm having a hard time finding shoes that will fit her. I may have to make some.

Here's a pic of Zoey. On July 6 she turned one year old.


She's stopped growing at 31 lbs, and she comes to just below my knees in height. She's not anywhere near as big as we thought she'd be, but I think she's the perfect lap dog size. I'm glad she didn't get big.

Now I'm all caught up. Live long and prosper. \\//

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how cute! I simply adore the whole set. It's absolutely precious, and will be perfect for my daughter who is set to arrive in November. If someone were to be interested in learning how to knit, where would you suggest they begin? Thank you so very much for taking the time to share with us amongst your busy schedule.

    Pleasance Fasst @ Shelton Roof

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to learn how to knit? Check to see if your local yarn shop has knitting lessons. If you have a Michaels near you, they have knitting classes. And there's also Youtube. Tons of knitting videos there.

    ReplyDelete