"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/9/16

The Bicycle Hat

This project went really fast. I started it on the 5th and finished it last night. A Christmas present for someone. I call it the bicycle hat.



The Bicycle Hat

Pattern: Bicycle Patterned Knit Hat by Heidi Arjes
Size: Adult

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash
Content: 100% Superwash Wool
Color: 227 Bachelor Button

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash
Content: 100% Superwash Wool
Color: 211 Cocoa

Needles:  Size 9 circular

Started: December 4, 2016
Finished: December 8/ 2016

Comments: I really modified the pattern because it's kind of plain and not well designed. First of all, I did a 2 color corrugated rib for the cuff just to fancify it. Then I did a lovely Latvian braid. (They're fun to knit.) After finishing the bike chart I continued in stockinette stitch until the hat was 5.5 inches from the cast on edge (rather than just 3 rounds as the pattern instructed). The decreases on the crown are not correct in the pattern. They decrease down much too fast. I added one round of knit between each decrease row, and did a second round of K2tog on the last round so I had 5 stitches left. 



I am very pleased with how it turned out.



Clearly I am on a stranded color work knitting roll. I'm really enjoying it now that I can do it properly. After finishing the hat I've decided to try those Mukluks again that I started knitting in 2014 but could never get to turn out nice. I've already cast on and I'm well into it now.



It has been snowing all day long. It hasn't amounted to much though. Maybe an inch. The snow is very light and fluffy and it is windy. I suspect most of it has been blown over into Montana before it could touch the ground. It's also bitterly cold. We haven't been above freezing all week long and it's been dipping into the low to mid teens at night. It's supposed to snow pretty much all weekend.

I've been promised that our fence will be built this next week. I'll believe it when I see it. They'll have to work in snow and frozen ground. I'm assured they will have no problem with that.

I've been Christmas shopping this week, mostly online. It's just so much easier than driving all over trying to find what I want. I just sit here in 'the hug' and everything I want gets shipped to our house.

I really should get the tree out of storage and start putting it up. Perhaps that is what I'll do this weekend.

Zoey is playing with her toys. She is very good at playing by herself. Right now she's got her pink pig in her mouth and is running around the couch in circles with it, squeeking it as she goes. Silly girl.

Live long and prosper. \\//

4 comments:

  1. I love your bicycle hat! What a cool pattern. Color work makes me nervous but I might try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where is the pattern?

    ReplyDelete