"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

5/26/15

Sometimes Life Just Sucks

It's been a very stressful past 3 days. On Sunday night my sweet husband had a stroke. We were at my brother-in-laws house getting into the car to go home and it happened right before my eyes. I knew what was happening within a couple minutes. I am well acquainted with the symptoms of stroke. I got him to the hospital as fast as I could drive safely and he's been well taken care of by the staff at Kootenai Hospital since our arrival. The left side of his face and his left arm and hand were affected the most. It's been a scary thing to go through, but he's recovering pretty quickly. As strokes go, we got lucky on this one. He's probably going to recover almost completely.

Doug is still in the hospital, but they say he'll probably be  coming home tomorrow. He will need physical, and some speech, therapy for a few weeks, and someone has to be here with him 24/7 for awhile so I won't be attending any knitting groups for a bit. Hopefully, by the time my June classes start, he can be left alone for a couple hours or so once in awhile.

This experience was totally unexpected. My husband is very healthy. He is very athletic and eats fairly healthy. I mean, this is the guy who rode a bicycle across the USA from San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL last fall. The last couple days he's been subjected to all kinds of tests but the doctors haven't been able to find out exactly what caused the blood clot in his brain, so we've been told it's probably just the luck of genetics. Which proves that no matter how healthy you try to be, sometimes things happen anyway. His good health, though, is what is making the recovery quicker than normal.

So, if you don't hear from me for awhile, it's because I'm busy helping my precious husband heal and get back to his old self. I'm planning to keep blogging, but at this point, I have no idea how life is gonna go for the forseeable future.

My husbands family has been incredibly supportive, which has been wonderful. I really appreciate them right now. We've had lots of good wishes from our many friends too. I am so thankful for them all.

I am knitting. It's keeping me sane while I hang around the hospital.



Live long and prosper. \\//


7 comments:

  1. Sending hugs - here's hoping for a speedy recovery! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda Jo, I heard about hubby from Jodie on the Ellowyne yahoo Group. Sending prayers for speedy recovery. Stay strong, keep knitting. Hugs, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs and prayers! Take care of yourself, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you are going through this but I am sending prayers, hugs and energy your way. Know that people are thinking of you and your husband, and praying for a complete and speedy recovery. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your husband. Prayers are going out for him for a speedy, complete recovery and for you, for strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you were right there and knew what was happening! Best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear this. Good wishes for your husband for a good recovery and strength for you. Yes, knitting is a huge help.

    ReplyDelete