"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/30/14

WIP Wednesday 7/30/2014

As promised, a knitting post. In fact, it is even a WIP Wednesday post.

This is what I knitted while on our trips. Most of it was done while camping on Priest Lake.

 


I still need to block the four little tops and hat on the left, and sew the snaps in. I'll probably be finished with the knitting of the two started on the right by tonight. I've got the two patterns memorized now.

I am getting tired of knitting doll sweaters. I've never been one of those people who could do production knitting. I'm a "knit it once then move on" kinda girl. That's why I started writing knitting patterns.

Years ago (late 80's) I got into production knitting. I knitted for a designer in the San Francisco bay area who sold her knitwear in an exclusive boutique in San Francisco. Her designs were so beautiful, and I learned a lot from her.

 I also knit things to sell at craft fairs. Mostly toys and baby clothes. After about the 15th teddy bear I realized I was not a production knitter type. I hated it. I decided rather than sell the toys I was knitting, I'd rather write the pattern and let people knit their own. Precious Knits was born. I never made any money doing the pattern thing though. I can't think of one pattern I managed to sell enough of to pay for the cost of printing them.  (We didn't have pdf patterns then.) Selling knitting patterns is a lot of work, and I didn't have Ravelry to help me out. I did get some of my patterns published in magazines, which was exciting. I had knitting fans (still do, actually) but not enough to make a profit. I gave it up when we bought my yarn shop. Didn't have time for pattern publishing anymore.

Anyway, back to the subject, I needed a break from the doll sweaters, so I started a pair of socks. When we were in Rhode Island last spring I had my son-in-law pick out some yarn for new socks. He chose some gorgeous Ella Rae Lace Merino Worsted.



I thought it was fingering weight. I didn't notice it was worsted weight until a couple days ago when  I wound the skeins into balls. Oops! I'm making a pair of boot socks with it. It's knitting up fast and the yarn feels heavenly. I did all of that above while at the Tuesday Rathdrum Knitalong meeting. It feels good to knit something larger.

I still need to finish the mukluks. I've made no progress since the last time I wrote about them. Been too focused on knitting doll clothes.




If you're interested in participating in WIP Wednesday, please join us.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment