"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

6/14/14

Skirts Sewn

I spent the day, yesterday, sewing. Well, technically, it was part of the day. The other part of the day I was working on my machine trying to get it to work. It didn't want to sew at first. Then, when I got it sewing, it didn't want to sew correctly. I did a lot of adjustments before it finally starting behaving properly. It was an educational time.

I learned quite a bit about my sewing machine, which is a Ricarr. You may not have heard of this brand. It's an all mechanical machine. No electronics in this baby to toast. It's a basic work horse machine, which is what I want. Something that can hold up to my abuse. Heh heh. Anyway, when it's working properly, it's a dream to sew on.

I also learned how to use this baby.



I bought it last week when we were in Wallace. One of the vendors in the street fair was seeking a new home for it because she never used it. Quilting is on my list of things I want to do when I retire, and she was asking a very reasonable price for it. I snatched it up. It's called a QuiltCut Fabric Cutting system by Alto.

I love this weird contraption! My sister sent me 4 pieces of French embroidered lace trim, and instructions on how to turn them into doll skirts. I used it to even up the edges on the lace trim, and cut my linings with it. It is awesome if you want to cut straight pieces of fabric. I'm so glad I stumbled upon it.

I made all four skirts yesterday. The plan is to knit sweaters to go with the skirts. These ones have white lining. I think they're gorgeous! I will enjoy making sweaters to go with them.



The fourth one is my favorite because I love the design embroidered on it. It has a black lining,



and clearly, I've got a sweater for it already made.



I was surprised how much fun I had making them, even though there were times I was very frustrated with myself (I sewed one of them inside out at one point. Argh!). By the fourth skirt, I was doing pretty darn good.

I think I mentioned I had another red wig for my dolls, but I hadn't taken a pic yet. Well, this is it.



It is cold and wet today. It's raining. I was planning to putter in the yard, but I guess I'll change my plans. Knitting is on the agenda instead.

Live long and prosper. \\//

1 comment: