"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/12/07

Froggin' Fun

I took the baby cardigan to Knitwits. I had decided to start the second sleeve. The stitch pattern is easy enough, or so I thought, that I shouldn't have any problems. Heh heh. No, I didn't have a problem with the stitch pattern. I could talk and laugh and knit just fine. I put away a good 6 inches of that sleeve. However, about 10 minutes before the meeting was over, I realized I'd forgotten to switch to the larger needle after the ribbing was done. Rippit, rippit! I waited until I got home though. I was too embarrassed to do it at the meeting. I reknit everything I had to frog last night while watching a James Bond dvd (I needed a Pierce Brosnan fix after frogging that much).

It amazes me how, even after 39 years of knitting, I still make the stupid mistakes. This little sweater is a prime example. I've made several mistakes in it that I've chosen not to correct, simply cos they're not bothering me. That is not normal. I'm usually obsessive about getting it perfect. I've been known to rip out whole pieces over and over until I get them right. Could sanity and reasonableness be setting into my brain?

Now, if I was gonna enter it in the fair, or giving it as a gift to another knitter, I'd have gone to great lengths to make it as perfect as I can. But the receiver of this gift is not a knitter, so she'll never know the difference.

For instance, I didn't start the diamond stitch pattern in the right place on the left front piece. Not my fault. If you saw the chart, you'd be confused too. So it doesn't quite match up at the center front. It still looks way better than a store bought sweater though.

She'll never know that one sleeve is 1 stitch wider than the other. That would be the first sleeve. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where I added the extra stitch. Not so that I could frog and fix it, but so that I could make the same mistake in the second sleeve so they're identical. That way it's a design feature, rather than a design flaw. Heh heh. However, after counting and scrutinizing for over an hour, I can't figure it out. So, I guess it will just have to be different. The only ones who will know, though, are you and me. If you squeal, I shall have to have you killed. You've been warned.

On my way home I popped into Sears to return the dryer cord and hose that they insisted I needed to buy for the new dryer. What I already had on the 'old' one was just fine, so the installer told me to take 'em back and get a refund. Oy! They're having a really good sale! I got 4 beautiful cotton tunics for $5.99 each. I get giddy when I come upon bargains like this. It was a lot of fun. Anyway, I traded the dryer stuff for the tunics.

You may ask, whatever happened to my Monkey Sock? It's waiting, patiently, until after Rathdrum Days. Just one week and 1 day to go. I'm getting nervous. It's been years since I've done a craft show booth. I need to figure out how I'm gonna do this.

Gonna be over 100 degrees F today. I think I'll take Ruth to a movie at matinée time. Get a respite from the heat. We have an air conditioner in the house. Well, technically, in the window of the house. But when it gets this hot it doesn't keep up too well. It was over 80 in the house yesterday, and I had the thing chugging on high all day long.

Keep cool, and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment