"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/30/07

Answering Elaine's Question

I got a comment today on my post What's In This Stuff from Elaine. She's asked for any tips I might have on the Pea Pod Cardigan.

Make sure you start the diamond stitch pattern in the right place so the fronts match properly in the center.

Do the 3-needle bind off for the shoulder seams, not grafting. Grafting stretches too much.

My suggestion is to do your own thing for the neck/button band. What's written in the pattern makes absolutely NO sense! If I were to do it over again (and I am-in yellow) I would knit the button bands first. Pick up 2 stitches for every 3 rows and knit garter stitch for first band, bind off. Repeat for second band, putting in the buttonholes. Then I'd pick up the neck stitches, including across the top of the newly made button bands and knit it, putting a buttonhole in the appropriate corner on the buttonhole side. It might take a little bit longer, but in my opinion it just plain looks better. Not that I can't figure out how to turn the corners if I do it all in one piece, but what a pain.

Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment